Monday, March 28, 2011

Today

Today, I began to mourn the loss of my creative self that so long ago I buried deep within the recesses of my mind; never even allowing myself to return to the gravesite to pay my respects. The day of the burial I walked away without looking back, but could hear a faint cry for help as I had buried my artistic ambitions alive, left to suffocate beneath a mound of intellectualism, practicality, and cultural pressure. Instead I became a student, a teacher, a girlfriend and a traveler. I found artistic expression in nature and in my social circles, but never in myself. I retrained a passionate ambition to create, but with no outlet in my life, jumped from place to place, job to job, and vision to vision. Each new undertaking was only exciting as long as the initial newness and artistic imagery lasted. Not wanting to fully accept artistic death, I kept around a few hobbies, but routinely sabotaged my own work with self-doubt, distrust of others, and a wall of insecurity.


Today, my subconscious brought me back to the burial site and wouldn't let me leave until I acknowledged what I had done. Now faced with the reality of my loss, I mourn, while at the same time fend off my inner voice that tells me to stop being silly and just let go once and for all. It tells me that I left behind my art for a reason and that it is a selfish and meaningless waste of time. I listen to these thoughts and weep at their cruelty.


Today as I grieve and question, I am also uplifted at the prospect of raising the dead and once again living an artistic life.


Today, I mourn, forgive and embrace the unknown.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a true revolution of self has begun. Right on time as your 30th approaches. For most of us our 20's are a cruel experiment, searching for meaning acceptance and fulfillment outside of ourselves and from other people, dabbling in this and that and trying out strategies for the expression of who we are............and then at one point we find ourselves crushed under the rubble of our own self betrayal and realize that the power of personal truth is within. It's time to rise up, rebuild and march forward..........To Life!

    And yours will be a great one!

    ReplyDelete